Friday, April 25, 2008

RAVE: Sun Oxygen Cleaner

We've had some staining issues since Gabe started solids mostly because Gabe believes that everything part of his body should share with his mouth in the joy of eating. Many a green bean has been smeared across his clean onesie or wiped onto his formerly white socks. Most of the clothing stains have come out with no problem in the wash. The diapers, on the other hand, are an entirely different story. Apparently solid-food-poop stains are harder to remove than predigested food stains. I was having the hardest time getting the unsightly blemishes from my beautiful fluff (remember, I really, really love our diapers. It's unnatural, I'm sure, but I don't care!).
I asked the ladies at the Green Mountain Diaper Yahoo Group for help, and one mama suggested an oxygen cleaner. Another cloth-diapering mama who also uses the stuff suggested we take a walk across the street to the Dollar General to pick up a bucket of Sun Oxygen Cleaner, and boy, am I glad we did!
My fluff looks beautiful!!! This stuff took the stains out of Gabe's diapers, and it only took one wash! It's a simple, inexpensive, bacteria-killing, brightening detergent (but it does not contain whitening enzymes, which is a big no-no for cloth diapers). It's also nice because it is powder form and doesn't have the additives used to keep liquid detergents in liquid form. And it's safe for cloth diapers!
Pointer: It's not necessary to use as much as the box suggests per load. You can easily get by cutting the amount in half! Happy laundering, mamas!

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog while looking for ideas to wash cloth diapers. I plan to CD when we have a baby. (currently TTC) Anyhow, do you use the Sun Oxygen Cleaner as your detergent so to speak or is it just a part of your routine? It sounds awesome and would like to have a simple routine that works when we reach that stage. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami,

    I use a half a scoop of the Sun O2 cleaner, and I use half a scoop of Country Save powder detergent. If you would like to know more about our simple washing routine, just let me know; I'd be happy to post an entry. =)

    Good for you for wanting to use cloth! I'll help you out any way I can. =)
    Hyacynth

    ReplyDelete

There's nothing better than good conversation ... but not while talking to myself. Will you play a part in this discussion?

AND will you pretty please have your email linked to your account or leave it for me so I can respond?

Thanks for taking the time to make these thoughts into conversation.

ShareThis